A deficit of vision, principally visual acuity, due to interruption of normal visual development during the sensitive period in childhood.
It is a condition in which and eye fails to achieve normal visual acuity, even with prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses. As the child’s brain gets both a blurry image and a clear one, it starts to ignore or suppress the blurry one. That is the reason many children who have unequal vision or anisometropia do not know they have an eye problem because the stronger eye and the brain compensate for the shortfall and the weaker eye gets progressively worse and amblyopia develops.
Detection and diagnosis
There might be no clear symptom in which the parents notice that their child is amblyopic, so it must be detected by checking vision in early age of the child.
Few symptoms might include
- Squinting or shutting an eye
- Impaired depth perception
- Poor eye-hand coordination
- Tripping and/or accident prone
- Trouble with micro eye movement
- Slower reading speed and comprehension
With early is diagnosis and treatment, most children will gain vision. Amblyopia becomes much harder to treat after about 7-9 years of age, so make sure your child gets exam early on.
Treatment of amblyopia after the age of 17 is not dependent upon the age but requires more efforts including vision therapy every amblyopic patient deserve an attempt to treatment.
Improvements are possible at any age, but early detection and treatment offers best outcome. If not detected and treated early in life, amblyopia can cause a permanent loss of vision with associated loss of stereopsis ( two eyed depth perception ).
Optometric vision therapy provide additional treatment for all aspects of vision impacted by amblyopia. With vision therapy, for example, the patient engages in visual activities which requires the simultaneous use of both the lazy eye and unaffected eye at all distances.
TREATMENT – BEYOND PATCHING
Traditionally eye patching is most widely used method till date. But sometimes is very uncomfortable for patients. Does not usually develop the patient’s ability to obtain normal binocular vision with depth perception.
CureSee It provides easy methods of diagnosis, evaluation, and treating binocular vision anomalies, it helps
Ophthalmologists and optometrists in assessing and managing binocular vision disorders that they see almost
everyday and by the use of patented dichoptic therapy, it offers wide range of clinically proven and result oriented
software based exercises as therapy.
- We address amblyopia with a personalized approach. Each session is one-on-one (therapist-to-patient).
- Treatment is designed for all ages using latest technologies and methods.
- Patient gets fun exercises along with user kit to easily perform therapy either at home, office or at clinic.
- Works both, online (cloud based) and offline. With home and in office support.
- CureSee provides a variety of Vergence exercises and dichoptic exercises for amblyopia and asthenopia vision therapy.
- Patient wears Special Red Blue Glasses (Anaglyphs) for performing these computer aided exercises.
- With Daily Progress Report and Graphs, it becomes easy for eyecare practitioner to monitor and manage each Patient’s Therapy and schedule visits.
- Patient gets complete 6 months CureSee Vision therapy software package with unlimited number of therapy sessions.
- Stereoacuity and Visual Acuity, both shows significant improvement with time during the course of using Vision Therapy exercises by CureSee.
- Improved eye sight
- Binocular vision
- Reading fluency
- Improves eye,hand and brain coordination
- Improves depth perception